Hail Storm Roofing Facts You Need To Know!Hail storm roofing facts – If you live in Middle Tennessee, Nashville area, you know that spring hail storms are expected. But, hail storms have even impacted our area unexpectantly in the fall and winter months! Even though the best weatherman cannot predict when a damaging hail storm will hit your home or business, you will know when it arrives! Hail Storms Are More Common Than Tornados! You are five times more likely to be impacted by a hail storm than a tornado! Even though hail storms are not the same severe threat as a tornado, they can cause a lot of damage. Hail storms start in thunderstorms so you should always take cover when strong storms are present! And, when the hail storm is over it is time to access the damage!
HAILSTORMS WREAK HAVOC ON YOUR ROOFStrong spring storms scatter debris, destroy patio furniture and outdoor décor, pull down fascia and siding, lift shingles, and leave hail imprints across your roof. Watching a dramatic spring storm can be mesmerizing. But once it has passed and reality sets in, more than likely your roof has storm damage. Don’t make the mistake of thinking hail damage is only cosmetic or not present because it is not visible. The fact is, most hailstorms cause roof damage even if that damage is not visible to the untrained eye.
Hail Can Damage ALL Types of RoofingHail can damage ALL types of roofing! Don’t make the mistake of thinking your special roofing system has not sustained hail damage! METAL ROOFING is not impervious to hail damage! Hail dents and dings on a metal roof are not just cosmetic damages. These dents and dings will lower the life expectancy of your roof as well as lower the resale value of your property! We commonly meet with people who think a metal roof is not covered by insurance because of “cosmetic” hail dents! SLATE ROOFING AND TILE ROOFING can be cracked or chipped and damaged by hail stones. A cracked slate or tile roof is extremely difficult to see. In addition, walking on a slate or tile roof to inspect your own roof can actually cause damage! FLAT ROOFING can experience tears or punctures that will allow water penetration and deteriorate the roofing system. Flying debris from heavy storms can also cause damage to a flat roofing system that would be covered by insurance. Don’t assume all is well with your roof after a passing hail storm! Always contact a certified roofing contractor like MidSouth Construction, that has experience in your specific type of roofing and request a free roofing inspection! As Nashville’s top rated roofing company, we can provide honest, accurate and professional roof inspections. MidSouth Construction is certified in all types of roofing including shingle, metal, TPO, EPDM, slate roofing and tile roofing! We are happy to provide a free roof inspection after a hail storm has passed!
HAIL DAMAGE CAN TAKE YEARS TO CAUSE PROBLEMSMinor hail damage can take years to become apparent. Unfortunately, the statute of limitations for filing a claim with your insurance carrier is usually expired by this time. That’s why if your home or business has been in the path of a hail storm, it needs to be inspected! MidSouth Construction Roofing & General Contracting provides free, no-obligation roof inspections for residential and commercial properties.
HAIL DOESN’T HAVE TO BE HUGE TO CAUSE DAMAGE!The National Weather Service considers hail severe if it is 1 inch or more in diameter. But even smaller hail can impact your roof! Hail damage varies based on the type of roof you have, the quality of the roofing materials, number of layers, length of the storm, speed of the storm, and size of the hail! In other words, there is no specific answer to that question! We have seen significant roof damage caused by smaller hailstones and roofs that have sustained no damage or minor damage with larger hailstones! Always have your roof properly inspected by a local roofing company after a hail storm has passed! When our inspectors look at your roof they will try to determine the size of hail that has impacted your home. Here are some guidelines regarding hailstone sizes:
- Pea = 1/4-inch
- Marble = 1/2-inch
- Dime = 3/4-inch
- Nickel = 7/8-inch
- Quarter = 1 inch
- Golf Ball = 1½ inches
- Tennis Ball = 2½ inches
- Baseball = 2¾ inches
- Tea cup = 3 inches
- Softball = 4 inches
HAIL DAMAGES MORE THAN JUST YOUR ROOF!
We will inspect your entire property and exterior for other damages we well. As a full service licensed general contractor, we can repair or replace so much more than just your roofing! Our hail damage experts will also look for damage to:
- Gutters & Downspouts
- Mailboxes or Flowerboxes
- Heat and Air Units
- Window Casings
- Window Screens
- Door Frames and Window Frames
- Cracked Glass
- Dented Metal Doors
- Window Screens
- Garage Doors
- Exterior Barns or Storage Sheds
- Outdoor Lighting
- Outdoor Furniture
- Chipped Painting
- Internal Water Spots
- Damaged Wood
- Damaged Swimming Pool Items
- Gutter Guards and Gutter Screens
- Chimney Covers
- Hand Rails
EVALUATING HAIL DAMAGEOur team of professionals will inspect for hail damage that is visible and even “hidden” damage. Quite frankly, we are experts at inspecting for hail damage. Here is what our roof inspectors will do:
- Documentation – All hail damage will be thoroughly documented with photographs and measurements
- Meteorologist Reports – We are members of a nationwide storm map program and can provide documentation from a meteorologist if needed to your insurance company to pin down the exact storm date.
- Thorough Roof Inspection – We never recommend that a homeowner attempt to climb on their roof to inspect for any damage. Our staff is always happy to provide free roof inspections
- Your Voice with Your Insurance Carrier – We serve as your voice with your insurance carrier and are happy to meet with your insurance adjuster. This is critical because the insurance adjuster works for your insurance carrier. Our experienced project manager will work for you!
- Estimating with Xactimate – Our staff is knowledgeable with the Xactimate estimating software program. This is the same software used by almost all insurance carriers in determining your claim. We never argue over pricing, but we do ensure that all line items are properly recorded and applied to your claim
- Honest Findings – Best of all, if they find that you have no damage or minimal damage they will report those findings to you as well!
Is Hail Damage to My Roof Covered by Insurance?As Nashville’s leading roofing contractors, we get asked that question a lot! Typically, homeowner insurance policies cover any roof damage that is caused by unpreventable reasons – fire, wind, rain and hail. However, there can be many stipulations in your policy that will determine the amount of your coverage. Some insurance carriers have started excluding roof damage sustained on defective or discontinued roofing materials as covered events.
EACH INSURANCE CARRIER HAS ITS OWN CRITERIAFinally, each insurance carrier has its own specific criteria on what qualifies for a full roof replacement vs a roof repair due to wind damage or hail damage. Therefore, if you have sustained hail damage to your roof, you should contact an experienced roofing contractor to help you navigate the complicated insurance claims process! MidSouth Construction is so much more than just roofing contractors! Our experienced staff includes licensed public adjusters and skilled estimators experienced in working with all insurance carriers! If your damage is below the standard criteria for a roof replacement, we will advise you of that!
While we cannot guarantee that your insurance company will always agree with us, our vast experience will give you confidence in making the decision to file a claim or not!
FAQS ON HAIL DAMAGE ROOF INSURANCE CLAIMS
- Substantial hail damage will generally warrant a full roof replacement covered by your insurance carrier.
- The only cost to the homeowner is typically their deductible.
- Space decking is generally covered by insurance if your policy has code endorsements
- There is a statute of limitations on filing a claim for property damage!
- You need someone to serve as your voice with your insurance carrier!
- You need to hire a contractor who is knowledgeable in Xactimate to ensure that your claim is paid correctly!
- Most insurance policies have code endorsements that will provide for current code items to be installed even if they are not existing.
- Most insurance claims that are prepared by an insurance adjuster without a knowledgeable roofing contractor present, fail to include needed components